Friday, March 2, 2018

Weekend Roundup

Welcome to The Weekend Roundup...hosted by Tom The Back Roads Traveler
1. Starts with "I."
2. Week's Favorite.
3. Inside


Letter I
Iota Louisiana

Since I couldn't find why they named the town Iota, Let's look at the meaning of the word.

The word is used in a common English phrase, "not one iota", meaning "not the slightest amount", in reference to a phrase in the New Testament (Matthew 5:18): "until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, (King James Version: '[not] one jot or one tittle') will pass from the Law until all is accomplished."This refers to iota, the smallest letter, or possibly Yodh, י, the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet.

The word 'jot' (or iot) derives from iota.


Week's Favourite



Inside the restaurant in El Quelite


5 comments:

  1. The Mexican dancers are quite a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Iota, a word that I have always liked, but never knew it's derivation. Festive Chicas jóvenes! Inside looks like outside. Thanks Jackie for stopping by, I hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jackie, for the nice rundown on the meaning of "Iota". I have used it quite a bit, mostly a very small amount. Often in, "not one iota" of _____." Mrs. Jim grew up in Alexandria Louisiana, north of Iota. Did you try something CajUn food while while you were there or in South La? Mrs Jim is not Cajun.but is mostly French. She cooks really good and red beans and rice. We like fried catfish abd had five nice sized pieces yesterday at Farmerville, La. We have been here in a cabin at Lake D'Arbone. All in North Louisiana.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jackie, I enjoyed your choices for the letter I. Thanks for the background on Iota, too. Safe travels home again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That restaurant looks lovely - very restful. I would love to sit and eat amongst all that greenery. The dancers look very festive indeed. I hope you're having a lovely time! I like your new pink background - looks great with the header shot!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.