Friday, December 23, 2016

Friday Finds


1. Starts with Z

2. Week's Favorite

3. Holiday

The first two will be the same, except we’ll work our way through the alphabet. The second can be a favorite image or activity from the week. The third will be different each time.

Friday Finds ABC Wednesday

Starts with Z - ok I am not featuring Toronto on this last day of the alphabet because I cannot resist pulling out my favourite Z. This sign is found on the drive from Las Vegas to LA on I-15.

Curtis Howe Springer gave the made-up name Zzyzx to the area in 1944, claiming it to be the last word in the English language. He established the Zzyzx Mineral Springs and Health Spa in 1944 at the spot, which was federal land, after filing mining claims for 12,000 acres (49 km2) surrounding the springs. He used the springs to bottle his water and provide drinks for travelers through the hot desert. Springer also imported animals from around the country to attract more families to visit his ranch. He used Zzyzx until 1974, when the land was reclaimed by the government.


Week's Favourite taken in St. Augustine.





Holiday - Taken last week at Universal Studios Orlando.

9 comments:

  1. ...and Zzyzx is pronounced how? Festive Florida...a Merry sunny Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Zzyzx! I am pronouncing it "Ziz-zicks" in my head, but I'm not sure if that's correct! Hope you had a lovely Christmas. The beautiful red sleigh in your week's favourite would look right at home in our deep snow in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite the name. I have no idea how that would even be pronounced. The last two images are so festive! Very nice. Thank you for joining in Friday's Hunt. Hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating story about Zzyzx! How kind of that man to provide water for travellers!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of before, seems very strange to me, because of the difference in language ;-)
    Gorgeous photo's

    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-19z/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I passed that sign many times when I used to live in Southern California. Quite unusual. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.