Thursday, December 3, 2015

Travel Photo Thursday Rosa Parks


Badge for Travel Photo Thursday, Budget Travelers Sandbox
I'm posting over at The Budget Travelers' Sandbox 

August 2013 - Grand Rapids Michigan


December 2015 marks the 60th anniversary of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights Movement.

Source Newsweek
Rosa Parks has gone down in history as an ordinary, elderly black woman who spontaneously kick-started the modern African-American civil rights movement. It all began in December 1955, when Parks was arrested for civil disobedience: She had refused to give up her seat to a white passenger on a crowded bus in the racially segregated town of Montgomery, Alabama. Her defiance sparked the push for racial equality, which brought civil rights superstars such as Martin Luther King Jr. into the public eye and changed the world forever.








10 comments:

  1. Enjoyed being reminded of this great lady! Lovely shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Memorial...lovely photos....

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a brave lady she was in those days to standup for her rights - or as in this case - sit down. An what an honour to be remembered like this.
    Thankyou for telling us about her through your pictures.
    I am joining you through Oh the Places I've Been. Have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to read about this special lady. She was very brave to take the first stand against racism in her society, I wonder if I would have been so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating place to visit! I was so moved to sit on the bus Rosa Parks rode (in the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit). Thank you for sharing all of your photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great reminder that we all can make a difference in the world. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that this memorial is in Michigan, but I like it!
    PS: Also love the biker Santa in your header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, can't believe it's 60 years already.
    I had no idea she was from Michigan. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to read about this memorial made for her. Here in Los Angeles we have a train station named in honor of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a true example of nonviolent civil disobedience. I've wondered if I would do the same if I was in her situation, and I'm not sure that I would have been brave enough to face the fallout of that one action with both herself and her husband being fired from their jobs. It makes me admire her even more. We were in Washington DC last week and saw her statue in the Capitol's Statuary Hall.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.