Monday, May 11, 2015

Our World Tuesday



April 2015 - Cisco Texas

I've been intrigued by Conrad Hilton since I read The Hiltons last year. But imagine my surprise as we were driving from Odessa TX to Fort Worth the other day to spot a billboard out of the corner of my eye advertising  "Cisco home of the first Conrad Hilton hotel"!!!

With great excitement I said we must stop in Cisco. John was willing (he always is) and was also curious about what we would find.

Like many of these small towns dotting the interstates there are many boarded up businesses. We drove around looking for the "attraction".





We almost gave up but suddenly we were there.


It was restored by the Hilton Foundation and turned into the Cisco, Texas, Chamber of Commerce office and community center. But two of its rooms have been preserved as they were in 1919, and a third serves as a small museum.


Here is an interesting article on how the oil and gas business boomed overnight around Cisco.












By reading the book I had learned that one of his sons was the first husband of Elizabeth Taylor.








2 comments:

  1. What a great find. I'm surprised it isn't more well known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is a good use for the place!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.