Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My Recipe Box - Breadmaker Pretzel Rolls

We have been dreaming of pretzel rolls/bread since we were in Washington DC last month.

I researched some recipes for my bread maker and finally chose this one from Salad in a Jar blog.

This is my photo of the rolls!! Next time I might make them into actual pretzels and serve with mustard.




I had never made dough in my machine, only breads. My husband said "but bread is dough". Yes, but bread made in a bread maker is also "baked" and ready to eat when you remove it.
So I follow the instructions once I have added the ingredients to the machine. Set it, watch the clock start counting down from 2:00 hours, but nothing is happening. I unplug the machine several times and start over. Nothing. John comes home and looks "knowingly" at it and walks away.
We decide just to leave it alone. After about fifteen minutes, I am reading in another room, I hear the bread maker start operating.
I decide to let it run its course even though it will now be too late to make for dinner.

After two hours it finishes and I put the container with the dough in the fridge overnight.

I take the dough out in the morning to let it get to room temperature. Deciding I have nothing to lose I make the rolls for dinner. Results? DELICIOUS!!!

I did find a handy chart for bread/dough cycles later.

Other notes:
Some recipes add brown sugar
These would make great hamburger buns
Mustard dip - mix yellow, dijon and honey

Bread Machine Pretzel Buns

Author: Adapted from King Arthur
Recipe type: bread
Serves: 8 buns

Ingredients

Dough
1-1/8 cup (9 ounces) warm water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups (13 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1-1/4 teaspoon instant or bread machine yeast
Coarse salt

Water Bath
2 quarts water
¼ cup baking soda
1 tablespoon salt

Instructions
1. Add all ingredients except coarse salt to bread machine in order given. Select dough cycle. Open lid and check dough after a few minutes. It should be a slightly sticky ball.

2. When dough cycle completes (bread dough will rise inside machine during this cycle), remove dough from pan to a floured surface.

3. Preheat conventional oven to 400 degrees F.

4. Divide dough into 8 portions and make into balls. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, prepare water bath. Add soda and salt to water and bring to a boil.

6. Gently smash each ball into a flat bun-like shape. Drop each bun into your boiling water bath. Cook 30 seconds, then flip and cook another 30 seconds. They will be wrinkly as a raisin. Remove each bun to a cookie sheet covered with a silicone mat or well greased. These buns are prone to major stickage.

7. Use a serrated knife or new single-edge razor blade to slice an X into each bun about ½ inch deep.
Sprinkle with coarse salt.

8. Bake 20-24 minutes.

9. Remove buns ASAP to a cooling rack. Otherwise, they will stick.

Alternate method - making pretzels

Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel.

1 comment:

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.