Saturday, June 7, 2014

My Recipe Box - Slow Cooker Spare Ribs


Photo taken April 2013 - Memphis TN
UPDATED DECEMBER 2021

I had some ribs in the freezer (forever) and wanted to use them up without going to any effort of grilling etc.




I scoured some recipe sites and found a slow cooker recipe and thought, perfect! No work!!!
I played around with several recipes and added some of my own ideas and came up with this.



INGREDIENTS:

4 pounds pork baby back ribs
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups ketchup or use a homemade mix
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Sriracha hot chili sauce - however much works for you
4 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of honey
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
OPTIONAL
I added celery, carrot, garlic and onion to sauce that I discard before serving
Chicken or beef stock can be used if the sauce is too thick

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). My slow cooker has a browning feature so I use that! Perfect as it doesn't dirty an extra dish.
2. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Place in a shallow baking pan. 
Add chopped celery, carrot, garlic and onion to slow cooker.
Brown in oven/slow cooker 15 minutes. Turn over, and brown another 15 minutes; drain fat.
3. In a medium bowl In the slow cooker, mix together the ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, honey, oregano, Worcestershire sauce. Place ribs in slow cooker. Cover  ribs with sauce, and turn to coat.

4. Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours, or until ribs are tender.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, though I'd be quite stingy with the chili sauce.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.