Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


 
It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. For this meme, bloggers post what they finished last week, what they're currently reading, and what they plan to start this week.
My comments are not meant to be recaps of the story lines as I include a link to Goodreads for their synopsis of the book. I am merely stating how I felt about the book without giving any spoilers.
2012 Recap and 2013 Recap

Not much in the way of reading this week, the weather has been too beautiful and we've been out visiting sights in the area around Sedona.

FINISHED THIS WEEK:
The Marriage Plot
Synopsis here

Harted it is probably too strong but OMG I just wanted to strangle every single person in this book. I plodded through just to finish it but many, many pages were simply skimmed. I did pick up a James Patterson for reading at the pool but it's only ok so I am not going to include it here.

STARTED THIS WEEK:

The Disappeared

Kim Echlin’s powerful new novel tells the story of Anne Greves, from Montreal, who meets Serey, a Cambodian student forced into exile when he cannot return home during Pol Pot’s time of terror. Anne and Serey meet in a jazz club where their shared passion for music turns into a passion for each other, against the will of her father.

But when the borders of Cambodia open, Serey is compelled to return home, alone, to try to find his family. Left behind, and without word from her lover, Anne tries to build a new life but she cannot forget her first love. She decides to travel to the war-ravaged country that claimed Serey. What she finds there is a traumatized and courageous people struggling to create new freedoms out of the tragedy that claimed their traditional ways, their livelihood, and a seventh of their population.

“Despair is an unwitnessed life,” writes Anne as she searches for the truth, about her lover, and about herself. “If we live long enough, we have to tell, or turn to stone inside.”






1 comment:

  1. I heard good things about this book and I think it is on my list to read (which is EXTREMELY LONG!!!), but now I will take a second look at the book before I read it!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.