Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday




Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

I just finished reading Before The Poison which I loved.

sere - "Though the landscape was bleak and sere for the most part, it was an unusually sunny day for December in Yorkshire, and when the coast came into view near Boulby, below the high cliffs to my left, I could almost imagine it was a summer's day."

being dried and withered
archaic : threadbareOrigin of SERE
Middle English, from Old English sēar dry; akin to Old High German sōrēn to wither, Greek hauos dry, Lithuanian sausas
First Known Use: before 12th century

snicket - "It was around half past eleven when I turned down the snicket Louise had told me about between the jeweler's and the baker's. "

I assumed it meant a lane of some sort, but hadn't seen it used before.
dial Eng
: something very small or insignificant of its kind

I also finished The Cold Cold Ground last week.

caesura - "In the long caesura an army helicopter flew low overhead."
  1. in modern prosody : a usually rhetorical break in the flow of sound in the middle of a line of verse
  2. Greek & Latin prosody : a break in the flow of sound in a verse caused by the ending of a word within a foot
  3. break, interruption
  4. a pause marking a rhythmic point of division in a melody
Origin of CAESURA
Late Latin, from Latin, act of cutting, from caedere to cut
First Known Use: 1556

3 comments:

  1. I just posted caesura too! Somewhat accidentally, but it's there. That's too funny. I didn't know any of your words today- although I have vague notions about hearing something about snicket because of Lemony Snicket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise had to look up caesura to understand one of her definitions today. I like snicket. I use sere when I play Words with Friends but didn't really know it's meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the word "snicket." Never have seen it in a book or heard it in conversation.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.