Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday Snapshot




While in Philadelphia for a few days in 2009, we stayed in a hotel right behind the Reading Terminal Market.

I was researching the history of the market.
I love this service mentioned on their site.
In later years, business flourished as suburban housewives began to take advantage of another aspect of the railroad’s involvement in the Market–a free market basket service on suburban trains. Under the system, the homeowner could arrange for her grocery order to be filled in the Market and the basket placed upon a train bound for her town and held at the station until she picked it up.

As soon as we checked in we headed out for a Philly cheese steak sandwich!!


























10 comments:

  1. I love busy markets! You can probably find some pretty delicious and exotic foods in a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun adventures! I do love the colorful markets...and it feels like we're there.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't markets so interesting? I think I've been to this one at some point. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Philly cheese steak sandwiches a bit too much! lol! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure. Love Philly cheese steak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love market places like that! The basket service sounds awesome. It would be great to have something like that nowadays (that didn't involve expensive shipping costs). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks vast, and so colourful, with such a variety of food stalls. My Saturday Snapshot is very brief this week but it's sad - a site where lepers once lived http://goo.gl/TkmQ7

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great market! But I have to admit...I kept thinking, "Mmmm, donuts!" :-)

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love going to markets too. Actually I was in a big one this morning....

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.