Saturday, January 15, 2011

2011 - Week 2 Eating

On Sunday I looked through the freezer for something for dinner. Normally I'm an old-fashioned type and love to do a roast on a Sunday. We thought we'd have steaks but didn't have any potatoes or crusty bread in the house. DH suggested going out to get them but I said, no there is so much stuff here let's just make do.
So again, we had sausages with pita and tzatziki, making use of our stockpile again.
Once this pile goes down a bit I'll be more creative and interesting.

While freezer diving I found 2 packages of oxtails for soup. They were frozen but I put some olive oil in a pan and browned them with some garlic, onion and a carrot. When they unfroze I separated them and continued the browning process. Then I added water, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, sundried tomatoes (because I had a jar from a gift in the fridge) and let it simmer away. Barley and carrots were added to finish the dish.

DH decided to make some popcorn from a free sample of microwave popcorn we had gotten. Another good reason for decluttering... it stunk up the house and was uneatable as well as having a July 2010 best by date. Have I mentioned how much I HATE microwave popcorn anywhere near me? It is the most grotesque smelling!

Monday - leftover pea soup as DH decided.
Tuesday - Steak sandwiches using up leftover frozen steak.

Wednesday - Takeout fish and chips  from Olde Yorke - was soooo good. I took the photo only after I was half way through it.

Thursday - DH away on business and I went out for drinks and nibbles with 2 friends.

Friday - Ox tail soup and biscuits. DH had been in Montreal on business and didn't arrive home until 9 pm so soup was perfect.
I also started out to make aloo gobi to use up the cauliflower but added too much liquid so instead made a curry potato and cauliflower soup for during the week.

Saturday - Since it is a cold snowy day I'll make my tried and true favourite shepherd's pie made with lamb. I use Emeril's recipe with ground lamb and homemade lamb stock. I also add some nutmeg for an interesting twist.
Again using up some stuff already in freezer - the lamb and the stock..


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.